Friday, May 11, 2012

Salty Caramel Ice Cream

jeni’s splendid ice creams



Since the heat is here to stay, the ice cream machine has been dusted off and is churning out some tasty goodness.  For my second batch of the 2012 ice cream making year, I decided to test out Jeni's Salty Caramel Ice Cream as posted by The Bitten Words.  First up, I familiarized myself with the instructions and gathered my mis en place since it looked like everything was going to happen at a rapid pace. This really recipe piqued my curiosity with the inclusion of cream cheese

Caramel starting to form along the edge.  You have to keep a close eye on the mixture, so it doesn't burn.
It was pretty exciting to see the sugar go from grains to caramel without any liquid.  Yes, I'm a kitchen dork. 




Here's the mixture after I had added some of the heavy cream.



Then, the recipe came together pretty easily. 
`
After the milk was added. 



A small note: Turn your zip lock bag into a pastry bag by cutting an opening in one corner after it has properly chilled.  It will definitely help get all the ice cream into the machine without making too much of a mess. 



Verdict: The ice cream that came right out of the maker had the texture of a Frosty and the taste of smoky caramel.  It's an interesting flavor, but is a little off from my favorite caramel taste.  Give it a try and let me know what you think. 

Next up:  Southern Living's Lemon Icebox Pie Ice Cream

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila