Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Curtain Call

Third times the charm for my dining room centerpiece update.  A few days ago, I made the trek out to Home Goods (my favorite) in search of a long bin and a few other project materials (more on that in future posts).  As usual HG didn't disappoint, I found a planter in just the right size, but not the right color, which isn't a problem if you can spray some paint. 




I still had some black paint leftover from the topiary project.  So I did a quick sand over the bin to rough it up and followed that step with 2 coats of black spray paint.  After a quick trip to the greenhouse, here's our new centerpiece and the plants can be easily adjusted to the season or holiday should the mood strike. 




Since I was finally on a roll, I decided to tackle window treatments as well.  Ever since we took down the front magnolia, I've noticed a lot more light in the dining room hence the new need for curtains.  My first inspiration came from The Yellow Cape Cod blog, but all that non-sewing sounded like a lot of work.  I really love the stripes and thought certainly I can find them somewhere online.  Big wrong!  After searching high and low, I went to plan B: Damask.




While I love the look, the pattern competed with my swirly chairs, so back to the drawing board.  I decided all black might just work.  Plus, I was ever so tired of looking for the illusive stripe. I picked up a few panels from Target (much cheaper than the Pier 1 option), ironed and hung.  I quickly noticed that they were a tad short, so I pulled out the hem, re-ironed and viola!  Dining room complete! (Diva note: I seriously have a new appreciate for my iron.  It's amazing what a piece of metal can do with some steam!)



Next up:  DIY Living Room curtains (or so I hope)!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila