Tuesday, March 8, 2011

There's always a silver lining!

I've been keeping myself pretty busy pursuing home blogs and becoming obsessed with all these seemingly easy projects out there. Seriously, you're going to think I'm crazy with some of these projects I have lined up for the coming weeks! Thankfully, these projects can easily be pushed to the back burner when little Miss Diva arrives. But back to the tasks at hand!  While I was shopping for topiary pots, I stumbled upon this cute bowl at a thrift store. 

Immediately, I liked the fun shape and thought it might be the perfect start for this silver leaf project.  Again another potential for my dining room table.  With bowl acquired, I made the sabbatical out to Joann's in search of a nice W stencil. 



The etching process was pretty simple.  I used some painter's tape I had on hand to secure the stencil and then painted on the etching cream. 






Wait 30 minutes and then wash off.  I love the ease of using etching cream, and definitely plan to try it again; however, I've learned that I need a more straight cut stencil with no room for the etching cream to get between.  Perhaps something like this one.  You live and you learn, right?




Next, I taped off a 1" section around the bowl's rim for the silver leaf.  Apply the silver leaf glue.  Wait 30 minutes and start applying the silver leaf. I smoothed with my finger, but will definitely use a small sponge brush next time. 



As they say in Clueless, it's a total Monet.  Good from far, but far from good.  I've hidden it in my china hutch, where the imperfections blend in with my silver rimmed crystal and china. 


Next up:  The continued hunt for a dining room centerpiece.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for visiting and linking to my project. I think you etching came out really well. The silver leaf is good too.You can reapply it as much as you want until your satisfied.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila