Monday, July 18, 2011

Laundry Room Makeover: Part 2

Truth be told, I've been craving a laundry room makeover since last fall, but put it off because somewhere it says pregnant women aren't suppose to be lifting heavy objects. The nerve of some people!  With little Miss Diva here and the sink removed, the laundry room was crying out for more help.  The shelves above the washing machine could barely hold a penny and didn't have enough clearance to open and close the washer lid.  I started pulling down the unsightly wire shelves with my resourceful drill.  I really do heart me some demo!   It really wasn't a tough process.  I just took the screws out and then had to do a little finessing to get the grey plastic anchors out of the wall. (Helpful hint:  Use the original screw to help shimmy the anchor out of the wall without much work. Don't worry if the you rip a little of the wall.  You're going to have the patch the existing hole anyway.)



Once the shelves were out of my house, I surprised Mr. Diva with a trip to Home Depot.  I'm pretty sure he had no idea that the girl he meet on Capitol Hill would turn into such a DIY-er.  Thankfully, he puts up with me and my projects!  We purchased 2 30" cabinets, some knobs and drywall screws before returning home.  We also enlisted the help of my soon to be cousin-in-law, who is quite handy to have around. 




The boys made pretty quick work of getting the first cabinet in place, securing with drywall screws into the wall studs.  The 2nd cabinet required a little more work. Mr. Diva had to cut out holes in the 2nd cabinet to make way for an electrical outlet and the washing machine cord.  Custom Cabinets by Mr. Diva!




What clean freak doesn't love cabinets!  All the storage without any clutter staring you down.

Next up: The laundry room walls are stained and marked up from previous owners.   With a a fresh coat of paint on the horizons, my inner Monk can rest quietly soon enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila